VSA-1215 and VSA-1217 Description
The VSA-1215 and VSA-1217 Vibration Spectrum Analyzers are Datastick’s high-performance vibration analyzer / data collectors. Despite their low cost and ease of use, they have features and capabilities comparable to analyzers costing three times as much, or more.
The VSA hardware module attaches to a Palm TX handheld computer and has a standard BNC connector and low-noise input that accommodates and powers almost any ICP®-type piezoelectric accelerometer. All VSA models include Datastick Spectrum handheld software and Datastick Reporting System™ PC software.
All VSA models record and display vibration FFT spectra in acceleration, velocity, and displacement, as well as acceleration waveforms. They also record and display overall vibration with color-coded ISO alert levels, or you can set your own alert levels, more specifically suited to your machines. For a full description of the display capabilities, see the description of Datastick Spectrum handheld software.
You Control the Power
The VSA hardware module contains its own rechargeable Li-Ion battery and advanced power management capabilities that put you in full control of sensor power — allowing you to determine the exact amount of power output to the sensor. You can easily go all day on a single charge.
An optional EXB rechargeable external battery pack is available if you need more power, and it gives you the added benefit of powering BOTH the VSA module and the Palm TX handheld computer. For more information, please see the full description of the VSA module.
Extremely Low Noise
The VSA-1215 and VSA-1217 are industry leaders at finding low-level, low-frequency peaks. The screen shot at left shows a typical noise floor at 4 Hz on a velocity spectrum made with an accelerometer is 0.0013 inches per second in the
2 g input range. If you need even lower noise, the VSA-1215 and VSA-1217 accept ICP-type velocity sensors as well as accelerometers. For more information, please see the full description of the VSA module.
Sharp Color Display and Secure Storage
The Palm TX has a unique rotating display which allows you to to view data in either vertical (portrait) or horizontal (landscape) orientations on its bright, razor-sharp 480 x 320 pixel screen. The Palm TX also features 100 MB of nonvolatile memory which keeps your data safe even if the battery drains all the way (which is highly unlikely, due to its efficient power management).
Virtually Unlimited Storage
All VSA models provides virtually unlimited, extremely secure storage capacity. In addition to the Palm TX handheld’s 100 MB of nonvolatile memory — which will hold approximately 3000 spectra or waveforms — the VSA also lets you record data directly to a Secure Digital (SD) memory card, which you can insert into the handheld computer. The VSAs support SD cards of up to 2 GB capacity, and you can use as many cards as you like — you’ll never run out of space.
At the end of the day, simply insert the SD card into a card reader on your PC to export the handheld data to your PC, or you can use the Palm handheld’s HotSync feature single to export data to your PC with a touch of a button. With another couple of mouse-clicks, your data is imported into Datastick Reporting System software on the PC for analysis, trending, reporting, and archiving.
Compact size, high performance, and the simple operation of the Datastick Spectrum software make the VSA-1215 and VSA-1217 excellent vibration analyzer / data collector solutions for route-based inspections and demanding troubleshooting and field service applications.
VSA-1217 Vibration Spectrum Analyzer
Description and Applications
The VSA-1217 has all the features and capabilities of the VSA-1215, plus
- The ability to accept a signal from an independently powered and conditioned displacement sensor or system and display displacement without mathematical integration.
Application:Spot-recording of displacement data at the machine under test or from online systems such as those by Bently Nevada.
- The ability to accept a direct signal from an ICP®-compatible pressure sensor.
Application: Measurement of fluid and gas pulsation in pump and compressor systems to achieve optimum efficiency in initial setup and continuing efficiency in maintenance checks.
- Automatically triggered recording of impact tests with sample rates up to 1 kHz; trigger levels are adjustable for maximum differentiation between the test impact and background noise
Application:Impact (bump) testing to determine resonant frequencies as well as faults, such as cracking and fatigue, that can change resonant frequencies.
Application: Initial equipment setup and acceptance.
Application: Maintenance and reliability checks.
Rugged Enclosure Option
For added protection from rough handling and the environment, the optional RC-5 Rugged Enclosure provides a splash-resistant, dustproof, impact-resistant shell that still allows access to the touch-screen controls for full operation.
- Uses and powers standard ICP®-type piezoelectric accelerometers
- Attaches to high-performance Palm TX handheld computer
- Includes Datastick Spectrum handheld software and Datastick Reporting System PC software for analysis and trending
- Provides vibration waveforms and FFTs, as well as overall vibration with color-coded ISO (or custom) alert levels
- Extremely low noise floor
- Handheld stores approximately 3000 individual signal captures, and SD memory cards provide virtually unlimited storage
- Self-powered or optional external power
- Weighs 10 oz with handheld computer
Key Specifications Also see Datastick Spectrum software specifications
- Sensor input: Standard BNC connector
- Sensor excitation:
- VSA-1215 / VSA-1217: Switchable on / off with selectable voltage and current: 5, 12, 18, or 24VDC, and 2, 5, 10, 20, or 24 mA
- Sensor types:
- VSA-1215: ICP -type piezoelectric accelerometers and ICP-type piezoelectric velocity sensors
- VSA-1217: ICP -type piezoelectric accelerometers, ICP-type piezoelectric velocity sensors, ICP-type pressure sensors, and independently powered displacement sensors
- Sensor input ranges:
- VSA-1215: 0-1 g, 0-2 g, 0-5 g, 0-10 g, 0-20 g, or 0-50 g and the equivalent in velocity (in in/sec or mm/sec), displacement (in mils or um)
- VSA-1217: 0-1 g, 0-2 g, 0-5 g, 0-10 g, 0-20 g, or 0-50 g and the equivalent in velocity (in in/sec or mm/sec), displacement (in mils or um), pressure (in psi or kPa)
- NOTE: These levels change with different sensor sensitivity. A 10 mV/g accelerometer produces these maximum inputs: 500 g, 20 g, 100 g, 50 g, 20 g, 10 g (or equivalent for velocity [in/sec or mm/sec], displacement [mil or um] or pressure [psi or kPa]). A 1,000 mV/g accelerometer produces these maximum inputs: 5 g, 2 g, 1 g, 0.5 g, 0.2 g, 0.1 g (or equivalent for velocity [in/sec or mm/sec], displacement [mil or um] or pressure [psi or kPa]).
- Antialiasing filter: 10th order hardware low-pass
- A-to-D resolution: 12 bits in multiple ranges
- Dynamic range : 130 dB overall, 65 db per input range
- A-to-D internal sample rate: 40 KHz max
- Frequency range: 50 / 100 / 200 / 400 / 500 / 800 / 1K / 2K / 4K / 5K / 10K Hz / 20K Hz selectable
- FFT resolution: 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 lines, selectable
- Triggering (VSA-1217 only): automatic up to 1 kHz maximum frequency, with user-selectable input-level trigger thresholds
- Supported handhelds: Palm TX
- Data storage: 100 MB nonvolatile storage available on the Palm TX handheld, with support for an unlimited number of SD flash memory memory cards with up to 2 GB capacity each
- Power: Internal rechargeable 800 mA/h Li-ion battery (Optional external 5200 mAh 5 V rechargeable Li-Ion battery)
- Dimensions and weight with Palm TX handheld computer: Approx. 5.75 x 3.125 x 1.875 inches (146 x 79 x 48 mm); 10 ounces (283 g)
- Included in the VSA-1215 Basic Package: VSA-1215 hardware module, Secure Digital (SD) flash memory card for memory expansion on the handheld computer, Datastick Spectrum software for Palm handhelds, Datastick Manager software for Palm handhelds, Datastick Review software for Palm handhelds, Datastick Reporting System software for Windows PCs, Documentation and QuickStart instructional videos
- PC system requirements: Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 7, and Microsoft Excel 2003, 2007, or 2010, 32-bit